Using the "-" key with XType

Hey guys,

Been lurking here for a while and I have found this forum to be extremely helpful. I have a question, that I haven’t been able to find the answer to by searching.

A little background, I am using UI Vision to perform some click-path testing on some areas of our 3D simulation software. I also plan to use UI Vision to capture strings, save them to a csv and compare them to a resource csv for the purposes of verifying translations.

Anyway… I have a need to use the “-” as the developers have a piece of machine functionality bound to that key and I need to press it to get passed an overview screen. Every time I try to use that key, it does not work. I seem to be getting the following error. Any thoughts?

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

any solution for this?
i can’t type - too in my macro

I haven’t heard anything. I’m new to this forum, so I don’t know if there is a developer we can tag in a post to grab their attention.

{
      "Command": "XClick",
      "Target": "name=q",
      "Value": "",
      "Description": ""
    },
    {
      "Command": "XType",
      "Target": "-",
      "Value": "",
      "Description": ""
    }

The solution from @uiuser with just using XTYPE | - might work well. It will fail if the software is waiting for an explicit keypress event.

${KEY_MINUS} and ${KEY_PLUS} are not yet defined - I have added this to our todo list!

Workaround: Use XRUN + Script to simulate exotic keypresses

if keypress is required then it can be used on Windows
It might work on linux as well.

{
“Command”: “store”,
“Target”: “-”,
“Value”: “!clipboard”,
“Description”: “”
},
{
“Command”: “XClick”,
“Target”: “name=q”,
“Value”: “”,
},
{
“Command”: “XType”,
“Target”: “${KEY_CTRL+KEY_V}”,
“Value”: “”,
}

Thanks for the replies, guys! I will give both a try!

-Bonk

@Bonk @admin Were these keys ever defined for the “-” sign?

I am needing to minimize the content within a chrome browser to capture information. I was going to also use the same xtype command but it is still not working it seems.

I checked and don’t see it in the docs.

Did you try the XTYPE | - mentioned above instead of XTYPE | ${KEY_-}

1 Like

What is the goal here? It sounds like something that can done better differently.

@admin you are correct. I found a better solution using OCRrelative.