Ui.Vision V9.2.0 brings a second local OCR engine

The latest update brings a new local OCR option that works on Windows, Mac and Linux.

rpa-js-ocr-new

Javascript OCR vs XModule OCR

The advantage of using the new so called “Javascript OCR” is that it works on Windows, Mac and Linux. The engine provides good OCR results, especially with black text on white backgrounds (e. g. typical websites, receipts, PDF). New OCR languages can be added on short notice. You can request a new OCR language right here in our RPA forum :slight_smile:

The advantage of using the existing XModule OCR is that it is provides usually better OCR results, especially for numbers and text on non-white backgrounds (e. g. text in images or video).

Wildcard support

In addition all OCR engines can use the * and ? wildcards now. The * wildcard character matches zero or more characters. The ? wildcard character matches any single character.

This applies to all commands that use text recognition: XClickText, XClickTextRelative, XMoveText, XMoveTextRelative, OCRSearch, OCRExtract and OCRExtractRelative.

New update is not working.
It keeps erroring : OCR feature disabled. Please enable it in the [OCR Settings].
Tried changing between JS OCR and Xmodule, but it does not work.

1 Like

@Atul_Singh Please try to remove the Ui.Vision extension and then reinstall it. This should solve the issue. But if not, please let us know.

Before you uninstall the extension, please make sure to backup your macros (Settings → Backup → “Run Backup Now” button).

:point_right: Just to clarify: To fix the issue, you need to uninstall/reinstall the Ui.Vision extension itself, not the XModule app. The XModule app can stay installed.

It worked after the reinstallation. Thanks.

However it broke OCRSearch, XclickText for multiword texts.
EG OCRSearch | result type | count (original text is result type: Hello world)
This used to work earlier. Same goes for XclickText | Result typ (text to click is Result Type) fails to click.
For it work we have to add * after the text.

I would request to please mention somewhere what might break after an update.

I can also confirm that the reinstallation helped with the issue mentioned above:
OCR feature disabled. Please enable it in the [OCR Settings].

I also noticed issues with the existing macros as the other user mentioned as we currently have several macros which no longer work.

1. It seems that it’s no longer possible to use brackets for an exact match. I have tried with XclickText and also XClick ocr=[text to click] (exact match) with similar results - it does not find anything, no matter what I try to search. Could you please add back the possibility to use exact matches (preferably with the brackets so that we don’t need to fix the existing ones) or explain how to use it with the new update.

At least the documentation states that it should work:
(ui.vision)](XClick and XMove - Real User Mouse Click Event Simulation, Robotic Process Automation (RPA))

1. This used to work fine: XclickText | Employee’s CV. After the update it does not work, but using XclickText | Employee’s CV instead seems to work (without the '). Was this by design? I checked with the OCR calibrate and it recognizes the text itself correctly as “Employee’s” so that should not be the issue.

I can provide more details if needed. Thanks!

@Taimou

You mentioned a very good point: With V9.2.0 we improved the text search and introduced wildcard support (* and ?). This changes the way exact matches are done! => Now the Ui.Vision search behaves like a standard text search on Windows. The default text match mode is exact match:

Example: OCRSearch | day matches “day” but not “today” or “yesterday’s”.

For partial text match use wildcards: OCRSearch | *day* matches “day” and also “today” and “yesterday’s”.

This question I do not understand. Is there a typo in your question? What text on the screen do you want to match?

@Atul_Singh I agree. Sorry we missed mentioning this in our update notice. I clarified it now.

As you already found out, you need to add wildcards now:

This works now: XclickText | Result typ* (text to click is Result Type)

Yes, there was a typo indeed:

1. This used to work fine: XclickText | Employee’s CV. After the update it does not work, but using XclickText | Employees CV instead seems to work (without the '). Was this by design? I checked with the OCR calibrate and it recognizes the text itself correctly as “Employee’s” so that should not be the issue.

To add more examples and hopefully clarify also, the idea is to click an element (link) on a web page with text “Employee’s CV and …” (the full text is not visible as it’s a nav. menu item):

Scenarios:
XclickText | Employee’s CV
Used to work → not after update.

XclickText | Employee’s CV*
Does not work. Shouldn’t this work?

XclickText | Employee?s CV*
Does not work.

XclickText | Employees CV
Works. Not sure why this works as no * used and it’s not the exact match either?

XclickText | Employee? CV
Works.

Apologies for the typo! Hopefully it’s now clear :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed example. We will test this soon and then I will update this post.

2 Likes

@Taimou There was indeed a problem with the ' character. → The ’ issue is fixed with V9.2.3 now.

1 Like