Super annoying, ALL macros deleted by automatic update

Super annoying that my macros are all DELETED by the plugin update :frowning: I only have backup up to 20 July, some of my work is permanently gone now :frowning: It’s using browser storage.

This is not the first time it happened, previously due to plugin bug, when I tried to save macros, it deleted instead.

So annoying, why is the most fundamental part can’t work correctly ???

1. Do you remember any steps you took on the update, such as if you want to overwrite the test macros?
  2. I would suggest using the hard drive file system instead of browser storage
  3. Backup, backup, backup! Not just for UI.Vision. In UI.Vision it’s one click

Sorry to hear that - but honestly I am not sure how this could happen. There were no changes to the internal database and no other users report this issue.

• Did you maybe uninstall and reinstall by mistake?

• Or did you maybe have a very old version of UI.Vision RPA running?

I did have one machine loose all marcros on the latest update to 5.8.8. A popup asked something along the lines of if I wanted to update the demos (all demos were previously deleted) and I clicked no.
All macros were gone. I restored from backup but never tried to recreate it.

I didn’t uninstall or reinstall

I have the latest verson 5.8.8

I didn’t use it for a few days then when I wanted to run the macro, it’s all gone :frowning:

This plugin is like a student project, so buggy and release seems like QA is not done properly, a year back I had the problem where the macro get deleted when trying to save also and it’s so difficult to save, now this is fixed.

Here is another person have the same problem previously Lost macros after update

Super annoying.

It’s always best practice to backup. Have you switched to hard drive mode?

Here is another person have the same problem previously Lost macros after update

@esia168 Well, that was years ago on the beta channel, not the production version.

By the way, the UI.Vision RPA core is open-source, and if you find a bug or problem, you can report it to us. Or you can join our beta channel and help to report problems.

Storing data inside the browser local storage permanently is always risky. This is true for any software that uses this option. But unfortunatly it is the only place where browser extensions can store data locally. Even without any software bug… one uninstall by mistake and all the data (here: macros) are gone. We know this and that is why we include the automatic backup feature.

Best solution: We highly recommend to use the direct macro storage on the hard drive. It is secure and much more convenient.

A popup asked something along the lines of if I wanted to update the demos (all demos were previously deleted) and I clicked no. All macros were gone. I restored from backup but never tried to recreate it.

Ouch. => To be on the safe side, we will remove this demo macro update feature with the next version. Because actually, users that use the RPA software do not need the latest demo macros, as they already know how to use the software. And if they still want them for a certain test, they can do a fresh install to get them.

1 Like