Internet Explorer Compatibility (Edge)

Hello,
My company has several internal applications that were written in old (I’m talking IE5) versions of Internet Explorer. Since IEs decommission our IT team has simply resorted to using Edge’s compatibility mode/settings in order to keep the legacy code standing and working. We have several automations that we wrote in iMacros 12 and continue to run in iMacros 12 as iMacros 14 is not compatible with these old websites. We are not having any luck recreating these automations in UI Vision for several reasons.

1. It looks like, from what I’m reading on the forum, this compatibility mode in Edge doesn’t seem to play nice with UI Vision. Most posts are recommending using desktop automation in this case.
  2. Desktop automation is not an option for us as we “distribute” these automations out - sometimes to hundreds of users - and desktop automation does not lend itself to this sort of distribution. It’s buggy, hard to support, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can convert these to UI Vision? Since they are internal sites I cannot show you an example of what I’m talking about. I know this is a silly question, but is there an IE version of UI Vision out there that we can get a hold of? At this point we are really just crossing our fingers and hoping that iMacros 12 will remain standing for the next 2-3 years while these legacy systems are converted to newer technology.
Thanks!

Hello, it seems like you have read our documentation already :wink:

Indeed, while Ui.Vision is a good iMacros alternative in general, it “only” supports the new Edge browser. Unlike with iMacros, there is no version of Ui.Vision for the old Internet Explorer.

Desktop automation is certainly not as easy to create as web automation, especially for distribution. However, I have two ideas:

• Have a look at the XClickTEXT command. It uses OCR and is thus independent of screen resolution issues. (Having said that, our image is also quite robust against resolution changes, but not as robust as OCR).

• Or, you could run the automation inside a light-weight Linux virtual machine (e. g. VirtualBox), and then redistribute this (free) VM to your users.