Installing XModules in non-supported browsers in Ubuntu 20.04

Hi there,

I have been struggling with this problem for the last couple of days, and i want to share my “solution” or at least a workaround, that works for me.

I’m using Ubuntu 20.04 and due to my requirements, any of the browsers which oficially supports the XModules(Chrome, Edge, Firefox) work for me. To install XModules in a chromium-based browser, Brave in my case,(I suppose this solution work for the rest of browsers) just modify the path on the .sh module installation file.

For instance, if you only need XFileAccess module, change the path in fileaccess_install_chrome.sh from chrome/NativeMessagingHosts to BraveSoftware/BraveBrowser/NativeMessagingHosts and reinstall the modules.

I don’t know if there is a topic similar to this in the forum, but i didn’t found it, so i just wanted to share this to everyone to save you time.

4 Likes

This is a very useful info, thanks!

1 Like

Step by step example that is working with Brave on Lubuntu 20.04 for the realuser Xmodule:

Download the XModules .AppImage from Download XModules for enhanced features, Robotic Process Automation (RPA)

Open a terminal where the downloaded file is.
In terminal (replacing .AppImage filename with current one),

chmod +x uivision-xmodules-linux-v202103.AppImage

In the GUI, double click to install the AppImage.

This creates a new directory in the current directory called uivision-xmodules. Navigate to it in terminal, then open, for example, realuser_install_chrome.sh in a text editor.

Replace the line

TARGET_DIR=“$HOME/.config/google-chrome/NativeMessagingHosts”

with

TARGET_DIR=“$HOME/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/NativeMessagingHosts”

In terminal,

bash realuser_install_chrome.sh

Note the “bash” instead of “./”. A “Bad substitution” error is thrown otherwise on the system I’m using.

If the above doesn’t work and you happened to have tried making changes before following these steps, try deleting the .AppImage and the uivision-xmodules folder to undo any old modifications you may have made that may be preventing success, then starting the instructions from the top.

1 Like

I cannot thank you enough!
I have been running behind trying to figure this out for months on end, you’re a lifesaver!

I’m trying to figure out how I can do it for Floorp too now but it doesn’t have a folder in the .config folder.

Thank you so much for this brave hack. We should have a fix for this by now though, maybe a way to pull a variable value from the plugin itself too so the plugin can ask which browser this needs to be installed for and a checklist can be provided which the user can check…

Let me see if I can do something like that :slight_smile: