How to create Line breaks in a variable

I’m creating a message in the variable ${MESSAGE} but I’m not being able to add any break lines

I checked some other topics like this one ( Line breaks no longer work ) but couldn’t find the solution

How do I break the line to show a message like this?

My macro displays:

${!col1}, this is a customized message.Adding a new line

But I’d like to split the text in 2 lines – see below:

${!col1}, this is a customized message.
Adding a new line

My macro

{
      "Command": "store",
      "Target": "${!col1}, this is a customized message.\\nAdding a new line\\n",
      "Value": "message"
    },
    {
      "Command": "XType",
      "Target": "${MESSAGE}",
      "Value": ""
    }

This issue will be solved with the next update in about one week is solved:

Then we will have a new internal variable to control how escape characters are interpreted in TYPE and SENDKEYS: :point_right: !stringEscape

• store | true | !stringEscape (default) => \n \t are interpreted as escape strings (this is what you need). This works just as Javascript does, so \t is tab and \n is new line (etc). Like here: JavaScript character escape sequences · Mathias Bynens

• store | false | !stringEscape => literal interpretation. For example this is useful when filling in a file path, e. g. c:\next\time\text.txt is entered exactly as this.)

• XTYPE simulates native keyboard presses, so \n is typed just as the letters \ and n. For line breaks with XTYPE use ${KEY_ENTER}.

Update May 14: Available with V5.6.5, see UI Automation Open-Source Selenium IDE plus additional features, iMacros alternative

@admin your link was very helpful. thnx!!

@admin can you confirm behavior is as expected for prompt? How can I enter text into a prompt that includes newlines and have that variable used in a type command as expected with the default !stringEscape set? Currently, it just types out “this is a line\nthis is a second line”, which I don’t want.

Thanks.

@bcsteeve For my understanding: Can you post an example of the kind of text you want to enter?

I want to enter into the prompt whatever I need to, so that the result can be stored as a variable and later the type command can be used to send text to a text box that includes newlines. For example:

This is a line
This is another line

Now that I think about it, perhaps my issue is with the type command, not prompt. I don’t have it in front of me at the moment.