Help me understand password encryption use

I don’t quite understand password encryption use. Documentation states:

“TYPE | id=password | your-password-here”
the recorded command is
“TYPE | id=password | __KANTU_ENCRYPTED__f8b53105ebb186d…”.

What value do you put for the password string if you want to use your stored password? How do I call the master password?

The master password is entered in the settings dialog > security:

master%20password

I understand that, but how do I call it? Instead of this:
“TYPE | id=password | your-password-here”

What do I put for “your-password-here” ?

If you check the box in the security settings, then - during recording - any password entered in a password field is automatically encrypted. So the __KANTU_ENCRYPTED__f8b53… string is created by Kantu during recording of password field input.

I will have to try again in both Chrome and FF. So far, FF is still showing the actual password in the log.

I made a quick test on https://login.salesforce.com/ in Chrome and it works:

{
  "Name": "salesforce1",
  "CreationDate": "2019-6-5",
  "Commands": [
    {
      "Command": "open",
      "Target": "https://login.salesforce.com/?locale=eu",
      "Value": ""
    },
    {
      "Command": "type",
      "Target": "id=username",
      "Value": "test"
    },

{
      "Command": "type",
      "Target": "id=password",
      "Value": "__KANTU_ENCRYPTED__857e7c173f5559a53b7bcff11202fdc1bb"
    },
    {
      "Command": "clickAndWait",
      "Target": "id=Login",
      "Value": ""
    }
  ]
}

hello admin, I have the same issue with the password encryption. it doesn’t hide the password. I entered master pass already. do I missed something here?

Hi, the password is (only) encrypted during macro recording. So just record a password entry in this field, then it will be stored encrypted.

Another option to store passwords securely is to use an extension like Lastpass, and then automate it via RPA.

Hi @ulrich,

How does this scenario work in case of high security scenarios? For example in our case a different team controls login credentials and security is extremely tight. The security team won’t allow us to install anything like Lastpass.

I don’t know how they will like the idea of recording a macro just to encrypt passwords an then replace it in the json files.

I feel that this is a challenge I will be facing when using Ui.Vision .

Thanks

1 Like

I use a different solution for password

I use prompt command it open a dialog window i put password and i continue macro.

In this mode my password will not stored in log file (hard drive)

To remember password in prompt i add some word to remember my password but i do not write my password in the macro.

2020-07-01T15:16:45.941Z - [info] Executing:  | prompt | Put P It Here Remember This Event In This Date @- | P | 

2020-07-01T15:17:08.106Z - [info] Executing:  | type | xpath=//input[@type='password'] | ${P} | 

In this mode with “Remember This Event In This Date” I remember the password and i can put.

You can add a custom word or phrases to remember the password but another person can not find your password and the password will not stored in log file and can not visible.

@AndyMenon So the goal is to manually enter an encrypted password in your macro?

If you are an Enterprise Edition user, we can send you tool for this.

Hi @admin,

Our company has extremely tight security. Our Security team will not allow us to store any credentials in a browser plugin . They want everything within the firewall. They will allow us to store credentials in encrypted form in configuration files as long as the location we store is cleared by them.

What is the tool that you have for Enterprise users?

thanks!

UI.Vision RPA always stores everything locally and is open-source. This way it meets the highest security standards.

There are two storage places that you can choose from:

• Locally inside your browser (so called HTML5 storage). This is the default in the free version.
  • Locally on your hard-drive. This is available in PRO and Enterprise Edition.

This tool allows you to create encrypted password strings without re-recording. You enter the master-password and the plain text password, and the output is the encrypted password that you can then copy and paste into your macro script. The tool is open-source, too.

In a similar situation here. Am trying to figure out how things will work for a larger group.

Just wait 1-2 more weeks Available now :slight_smile: The tool will be is included in the regular UIVision RPA release with the next update. You can then create new encrypted strings with the help of the master password. The encrypted strings can be used with the TYPE, SENDKEY and XTYPE commands. This is how it will look:

2 Likes

Got it! Will get back to this when you release this new feature.

Do we have to reinstall the plugin?

thanks!

This feature is working. I can get the encrypted form of a password I type. :slight_smile:

But, when I close the settings dialog and open it again, I can still see the encrypted password is still retained in there.

And, when I put in a new password and try to encrypt, it appears like the value in the Encrypted field is not changing at all even when it is changing.

It would be great if you can wipe out the value in the Encrypted field when:

1. the settings dialog is closed
  2. when the user types something new into the plain text field

This way the dialog becomes more intuitive to use.

Thanks much!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with it, this will be improved with the next update.