XType can't hold-down modifier keys [Workaround available]

This is both a bug report and feature request at the same time. I noticed that XType does not have the ability to hold-down a modifier key - ex. ALT+Y, then A - WITHOUT releasing the ALT key. XType can only release and do it again - ALT+Y then ALT+A

I’m doing a macro in QuickBooks desktop that uses keyboard shortcuts throughout. ALT+Y would bring up a menu in the menu bar, and then another letter to select in that menu. If you release the ALT and press it again, the letter corresponds to a different menu altogether.

I think this would be a good addition to UI.Vision because most desktop programs have ALT shortcuts throughout.

In the meantime I did work around it by tabbing around and ENTER, but this makes the macro more fragile. Direct shortcuts are a sure thing.

Yes, this is missing feature. The RPA software can not hold keys for more than one click. This is on our todo list. But meanwhile they are some useful and powerful workarounds:

Thanks. As this is an attended macro the added delay wasn’t appropriate to call a script so I went the tab route until this is available in UI.Vision.

Also for others you can also sendkeys in PowerShell:

#Start
Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Windows.Forms

#Type Hello World & press ENTER
[System.Windows.Forms.SendKeys]::SendWait("(HELLO WORLD!){ENTER}")
1 Like