verifyElementPresent doesn't seem to be able to follow an XPATH?

The following click command works fine

{
  "Command": "click",
  "Target": "//div[@class='card card-lib']/div[@class='card__content']/label[text()=\"Categories\"]/following::div[1]/a[${itr}]",
  "Value": ""
},

But the identical verifyElementPresent results in an error

{
  "Command": "verifyElementPresent",
  "Target": "//div[@class='card card-lib']/div[@class='card__content']/label[text()=\"Categories\"]/following::div[1]/a[${itr}]",
  "Value": ""
},

[error][ignored][Line 5](chrome-extension://gcbalfbdmfieckjlnblleoemohcganoc/popup.html#): '//div[@class='card card-lib']/div[@class='card__content']/label[text()="Categories"]/following::div[1]/a[1]' element not present

By the way, what I am trying to do is iterate through a series of possible XPATHs to see which ones are present. I am extracting Category names that are in a specific <div> as sequential <a> tags. If /a[1] is present I store its text in a variable. I loop up to 5 times to get 1 to 5 Category names.

This particular Category <a> tag exists. I prove it to myself by giving the exact XPATH to a click command which executes as expected (see above). However, when I give the identical XPATH to the verifyElementPresent command, the code returns an error, and !statusOK == false

I am not sure why this is happening, except that maybe verifyElementPresent cannot process XPATHs?

Both use XPath, so I am not sure why this fails in your case. Can you recreate this issue on a public website and post a test macro here?