[Issue #513] Script freezes unexpectedly with no error written to log. Manual pause/resume brings it back

Caught it again. No help with pause|resume. But…
I refreshed the page manually and macro picked it up and kept going.

This is getting very annoying. Basically I cannot leave kantu running unattended. Kinda ruins the main purpose of automation!

I have seen this as well. I first noticed this when I started using Kantu about 2 months ago. I thought it was something I was doing, but as I’ve improved my macros the problem has persisted. At that time, I was able to click pause, then resume and the macro would continue. Recently (within the last two weeks approximately), the pause/resume work-around does not seem to work. Rather, I need to stop the macro. Alternately, I can reload the page and the macro will continue to run, though often errors because supporting information is no longer available. I’ve looked for some underlying pattern, but cannot find one. The only thing that seems to be a constant is that it is stopping on steps that are within a while loop. Chrome and FF Win 10.

same issues, I find that it happens to any ramdomly command, after pause/ resume can bring it to live but can’t do it in the lastest version and have to refresh webpage to continue.

I have the same issue happening to me. It’s in the part of the script where I have to loop until I find a certain value. Maybe 1 out of 10 times, it will just stop. I could pause/resume and it will sometimes continue. But other times, it won’t. So I’m not able to implement any unattended scripts because of this scenario.

{
  "Command": "label",
  "Target": "myLoop_TaskSearch",
  "Value": ""
},
{
  "Command": "storeEval",
  "Target": "${myRow}+1",
  "Value": "myRow"
},
{
  "Command": "storeText",
  "Target": "//*[@id=\"clForm\"]/div[3]/div/table/tbody/tr[${myRow}]/td[1]",
  "Value": "myTaskFound"
},
{
  "Command": "gotoIf",
  "Target": "\"${globalTaskSearch}\"!=\"${myTaskFound}\"",
  "Value": "myLoop_TaskSearch"
},
{
  "Command": "clickAndWait",
  "Target": "//*[@id=\"clForm\"]/div[3]/div/table/tbody/tr[${myRow}]/td[7]",
},

We are working on this issue at the moment. If anyone has a good test case that we can run on our test systems, please contact us.

Hi,
I have the same problem… Do you think you will manage to fix it soon ?
Thank you for all you do, I use Kantu for three months and I really enjoy !
Louis

I face this EVERY DAY. And the amount of it just depends on how many times I come back to refresh the page. Kantu can not be left unattended.

Most kantu freezes occur when an internet site loads slowly or doesn’t load completely unfortunately this is Kantu’s weak point the bad control of the browser tabs, it takes very little and freezes, otherwise with imacros this never happened I have macros who work me 24 hours a day without ever stopping or crashing.

I have this issue on 50/50 mbps connection, on 15/2 and on 5/5. In my experience it has nothing to do with internet connection. And if you think about it should not have. But if this is your perception if the issue I hope it could be valuable to developers.

Usually in cases that I have noticed that Kantu stops when a site does not load completely but it has many other bugs because often I get the message that “Kantu is not connected to the tab”.
I love Kantu but I find it difficult to automate because of the many problems that appear during use and some problems seem unpredictable and random.
I repeat I love Kantu and I would like it to become the best automation program so that I can let it work without worries to find it blocked or with errors.

Fully agree with you on this.

If you run a macro and the connection internet down or site do not load Kantu remain stucked to wait the loading of page (if the connection is down site do not load never).

This is a big problem because sometimes a site can load slowly or can not load and not have sense that Kantu remain stucked.

Imacros in this case continue to work, with page offline too, continue and give errors but not remain stucked.

Is it possible that any admin tells us if this problem will be solved soon ?

I’ve been battling with this issue every day. Still not repeatable, but this might be a clue. The way I’m running Kantu is with a parent macro and several “child” macros that utilize the run command. With each of my child macros, I hang a js library off of global (storeEval | window.myLibrary={myFunc={},…}). This works well in that I can re-use these small functions to do more complex processing more quickly. One instance of the hang/freeze problem occurs when mylibrary seemingly disappears from the global scope. Here are a few commands from the top of my child macro:

{
  "Command": "selectWindow",
  "Target": "tab=open",
  "Value": "https://my.domain.com/${profile}/address"
},
{
  "Command": "waitForPageToLoad",
  "Target": "1000",
},
{
  "Target": "window.myLibrary={myfunction1:function(){...},myfunction2:function(){...},...}",
},
{
  "Target": "window.myLibrary.myfunction1();",
},
{
  "Target": "window.myLibrary.myfunction2();",
},

This will run successfully 30 times, then it will hang on the last command shown. It will stay there until the full timeout limit is reached. Before the timeout is reached, I open up the Chrome console and ask it for myLibrary, and it returns undefined. Very strange, because the command just before it was successful.
Now then, this does not cover the full spectrum of situations in which the problem occurs, but it does highlight one instance and I hope this might support the efforts to fix this situation.

Note: I’ve installed v4.1.6 because this and other issues with more recent releases were bringing me to a halt.

Chrome. Kantu v 4.1.6

My macro became unresponsive, so I immediately opened up the browser console and saw errors. Finally, the macro timed out. Here is the console dump:

background_csv_editor_desktop_screenshot_editor_popup_vision_editor.js:1168 pReady - error Objectmessage: "Disconnected"proto: Object
(anonymous) @ background_csv_editor_desktop_screenshot_editor_popup_vision_editor.js:1168
popup.html#/:1 Unchecked runtime.lastError: Specified native messaging host not found.
popup.js:19487 getOcrCommandCounter - read
popup.html#/:1 Uncaught (in promise) Objectmessage: "Disconnected"proto: Object
popup.html#/:1 Unchecked runtime.lastError: Specified native messaging host not found.
popup.html#/:1 Uncaught (in promise) Objectmessage: "Disconnected"proto: Object
popup.js:1019 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Error: Error: Error: Error: Error: Error: Error: Error: Error: Error: Error: Error: Error: Error: Error: Error: Error: Error: Error: Error: token expired
at Player.__errLog (popup.js:1019)
at popup.js:913
at popup.js:792
popup.js:26090 Error: Error: macro ‘My Macro Name’ timeout 1800s (change the value in the settings if needed)
at Player.__errLog (popup.js:1031)
at Player.stopWithError (popup.js:713)
at Countdown.callback (popup.js:8439)
at Countdown.runCallback (popup.js:26087)
at popup.js:26045
runCallback @ popup.js:26090
(anonymous) @ popup.js:26045
popup.js:26045 [Violation] ‘setTimeout’ handler took 155ms
popup.js:979 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Stop reason: ERROR
at popup.js:979

Kantu needs another automation tool to make it work. Anybody knows chrome extension that would reload the page IF it has not been reloaded for 3 minutes?
upd. I’ve found extensions to be shady and not able to work on a domain basis. So far I’m using violentmonkey to inject page refresh code. If somebody need it I post it here
Replace www.example.com or add more domains you need to refresh on and change the default timeout (120 sec).

// ==UserScript==
// @name     Auto-Refresh
// @include  https://www.example.com/*
// ==/UserScript==

setTimeout(function(){ location.reload(); }, 120*1000);

Hi

There are more addons to auto refresh, i found this but there are more and more

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/super-auto-refresh-plus/globgafddkdlnalejlkcpaefakkhkdoa

Kantu is a fantastic tool but sometimes i find it stucked and do not respond (whether it is started via the command line or is started manually) now i use taskkill to close browser stucked and reopen it.

In my testcase i see when site do not load Kantu stucked and is a big problem because stuck totally my browser the unique good solution for me is taskkill and restart macro with a batch file.

@newuserkantu Addons do not work on domain basis. So I click and URL changes and that’s it auto refresh and it’s clones are useless. I’m on the same website but the page is different so AuRef does not pick it up. UserJS injects refresh code on every page from this domain. And you can adjust it as well.

Hi,

I’m sorry but I can’t help you, I can’t understand the problem.

I use the taskkill and the restart of the macro from the command line for the cases in which it does not answer to the commands (imposed 10 minutes of control, if firefox is open from 10 minutes it means that the macro is blocked) then the taskkill starts automatically closes firefox and restarts the macro, I don’t know if it’s a solution that you can use for your problem too.